Friday, July 15, 2011

Its a zoo!

Time for a fun update on the animal life in Senegal.

I can still remember the first time I was heading to class in Dakar and had to wait for a herd of cattle to cross the street. Another time I found myself in a narrow alley with the same herd, trying not to make eye contact.

On my trip to Mar Lodj (an island in the delta region) 3 of us went running and came across a herd in a large open sand field --- its usually in your best interest to yield to the cattle. This includes large trucks too, although I have seen a cow come to the street and wait for traffic before crossing.

Sad thing is, lots of cattle but hardly any milk. We rely on powdered milk here.

You know its spring time when....
Huge; and I mean big fat momma pig with nine little piglets hiding from the rain on the side of the house. I think they came by to eat all the mango scraps and mom decided to take a break.

Have you ever seen a full grown pig run at full speed? I have and I think I laughed out loud. Little tiny legs and fat stomach, not very graceful.

And I don't like to stereotype but the pigs also like to hang out in the dirtiest mud pools that show up after the rains.

Lots of dogs and cats in the street. Back in the Dakar there was a cat that liked to sneak in the house and search through scraps from dinner.

Cockroaches. Enough said.

Chickens are also common in the streets but are definitely outnumbered by goats and sheep.
Did you know...
Goats tails stick straight up while sheeps' fall down?
And in a beauty contest here, the goats always win. The sheep aren't fluffy like you see in the story books.

Mosquitos are common and when they're not around during the day time, they're replaced by flies. Rainy season is less interesting now that the bugs have multiplied.

The equivalent of squirrels = lizards.

In the village the animals run wild like they do in town too but get tied up at the beginning of the planting season so they don't eat the new crops.

I saw a raven catch a chick. Momma hen tried to fly after the raven but wasn't quite fast enough.

There's some vultures too, usually see them around a dead carcass. surprise!

On the way to Kedougou for spring break we saw monkeys in the wild! Green monkeys with long tails. (they're not actually green)

No comments:

Post a Comment