Thursday, June 23, 2011

How my life has changed --- abridged version

What is normal? Normal is a relative term; Normal can be your best friend or an enemy depending on your ability to adapt to your surroundings.

Normal is not stopping the conversation when the power goes out because everyone expects it to happen.
     We lose power ~3times/day.  If I come home from work and have power, I can expect that we’ll lose it before dinnertime.

Normal is eating bread for breakfast every morning. Luckily I’ve made the switch from white “ghost” bread to millet bread – it lasts a little longer in my stomach. Too hot for tea, so I take a large glass of cold powdered milk.

Normal is slower. If I’m rushing it’ll probably take me longer to finish my task. I greet everyone at work and at the boutique, don’t ask to borrow the whiteout without asking about the person’s family, how he slept, and how work is going.

Normal is coming home from working and going straight to the mango tree. Pick a fresh mango and bite into it with your teeth. Try not to let the juice drip on your clothes because there’s no laundry machine, you may have to wait a week to have laundry done.

Normal is sweaty. Normal likes to take at least 2 showers a day.

Normal visits her friends’ Facebook pages when the power is on and she’s not exhausted and is surprised to see girls wearing shorts. Are those thighs? Normal feels exposed if she leaves the house showing her knees.

Normal has a hard time making to the gym but pays less than a dollar. Normal does not fit in at the gym but nevertheless has started lifting again and likes to wear giant red gloves on Talarta, Axames and Gawo. (Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays)

1 comment:

  1. "Normal is knowing that normal is relative."

    ReplyDelete